Wednesday, March 19, 2008

NRD - follow up

The fiasco in NRD was resolved with the help of the chief secretary to the Government. Hey, I have to say our chief secretary is impressively efficient and committed.

News is that the officer was transferred due to the incident. To be honest, I am disturbed and perplexed at the decision.
Should he be punished? I think not.
The fault, in my humble opinion, lies with the “policy maker”.
It is very often I notice that various public policies were announced over a social function, picked up by newsmen and published in the newspapers the next day. I often wonder whether they are policies or directives at all. So very often, they can’t stand the test of time or the test of reasonableness. Such policies also seem to have been made arbitrarily and without deliberation. They ended up being the general laughing stocks.
A quick check on the relevant department website also reveals that they fail to make full use of their website to make public their policies or directives. You see? Even if I do not wish to question the rational behind the said policy, I wouldn’t have known it if I do not go all the way to the department!
I also quickly surfed on Singapore Immigration website. Tell you, there is vast difference. You can tell, that one is from a developed nation. It even gives details of the photograph requirement, tell you when are the peak hours to avoid… Their website serves the purpose, not just a fashion.

Seriously, our public policies makers should not simply utter a so call policy as and when they like. All policies should have gone through proper deliberation.

2 comments:

Rockybru said...

Hi TT,
I have responded to your comment in my blog. Tq.
And I agree, policies shouldn't be dished out over dinner and parties.
I hope LGE, KI and Husam are reading this.

Thank you.

talking tongues said...

Thank you so much for visiting, Rocky. I appreciate.
As you can see, I am a new kid on the "blogs" and will need a lot of guidance and encouragement.
You can be rest assured that neither of the 3 or anybody reads my blog as yet. Perhaps, you are the only visitor :)
When I am more confident, I will join you for mee rebus!